Sunday, January 12, 2014

Book Review: Shatter Me

Shatter Me
Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publication Date: November 15, 2011
Publisher: Harper
Genre: Fantasy, dystopian
Pages: 338
Age Rating: Readers above the age of 13
My Opinion: 9/10


Hi, Readers!

      Calling all Hunger Games and Divergent fans!  This week, I am reviewing a dystopian novel that has all of the potential necessary to become a hit film and YA phenomenon.  Make sure you read this book before it makes it big-time!  I had noticed that Shatter Me, by Tahereh Mafi, was reviewed on a couple of other YA blogs and it was highly praised due to its intense plot line.  Shatter Me turned out to be an awesome novel that I would consider comparable to top dystopian novels.  I am looking forward to getting my hands on the sequel as soon as possible.

       Here's a quick summary: Juliette is imprisoned in a mental institution controlled by The Reestablishment, a powerful organization that has taken over a basically post-apocalyptic Earth.  She found out over a year ago that her touch is fatal to humans, and she was abandoned by her parents.  Now, Juliette is faced with a strange roommate in her cell, named Adam, who turns out to be her former classmate.  Juliette discovers that Adam is a soldier of The Reestablishment, and he is required to make her fatal touch a weapon to be imposed on society.  However, the two fall for one another and must hide their romance while attempting to escape from The Reestablishment, and Juliette always has to remember her cursed touch.
Shatter Me
Another popular cover
of Shatter Me

       Although I am not a big fan of romance novels, the connection between Juliette and Adam is well-written and made me feel attached to their adventure.  Their romance is fairly predictable, but the added element of suspense pertaining to Juliette's inability to touch Adam throughout the novel adds unexpected new depth.  Juliette is clearly scarred from her rough past, from her parent's abandonment to her accidental murder of a young boy, as shown through Mafi's writing style.  The author shows Juliette's innermost thoughts as text that is crossed out by a "pen" (a thin black line), as if Juliette is trying to hide her true feelings.

       Juliette is a strong female heroine due to the fact that she has so much power over those around her.  She does not wallow in her outer beauty, which is a refreshing change in YA novels.  Also, Juliette inspires fear even in The Reestablishment soldiers, who are used to being in control, and she is able to use trickery and intelligence to her advantage throughout the novel.  I would definitely suggest Shatter Me to any female high school YA readers, and it is action-packed for the male audience.  Although this novel is from 2011, it's popularity is still growing due to sequels that readers are looking forward to.  There have been rumors that it will become a movie.

Happy Reading!
Katie

2 comments:

  1. OOh nice review! I admit I cannot make a decision over this book. Whether to read it or not. I've read mixed reviews but after every positive one, I think maybe. Then of course other reviews mention this Warner guy and I kind of want to meet him! So maybe one day I will be adding this to the TBR pile and reading it!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this book. So much. The writing style is amazing - like you said, Juliette's instability really shows through the strike-throughs, and Mafi's words have such a gorgeous, lyrical quality. I'm so glad you enjoyed this one, and I hope you get to Unravel Me soon so we can count down the days until Ignite Me together!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Feel free to ask questions or say whatever is on your mind.